Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Field Trip #2 – Highway 101 – Conejo Connection


Sidetrack From My Blog

            I am off today from my two jobs of after retirement – 1. Unpaid Full-time Super Nanny, and 2. On-line English teacher. 

            I do not have to repeat the first one.  It explained plenty in my blog already.  Aside from the occasional inner-turmoil complexity I faced from time to time; it’s actually the most rewarding and fulfilling way to spend my retirement.  All I have to do is striking the balance in life, and establish the healthy and happy well-beings of all parties – my own family with husband, and my daughter’s family with baby Forest.  

            The 2nd job, which I started in 2010, was my life-long passion in English teaching.  I have been helping five non-English speaking students steer away from the fear of speaking, and writing English since we made the first class in November 2010.  They are one senior and two sophomores in High School, and one sophomore and one graduate student in college. 

            I conducted one-hour weekly class for each student on the weekend morning basis – Time zone difference, nighttime in Taiwan.   We e-mailed journal writing and skyped, face to face, to cover a plethora of topics relating their life and my expectation from this old grandaunt, a close aunt of their parents from my family and Ben’s family.    

            Yes, it takes courage to conquer all the obstacles in speaking and writing for them.  Not easy! But, we made it possible through mutual learning model – I just need to get a clearer grasp of what the student’s busy daily routine looks like, and to work together with each one of them, so I can set some personal and academic goals for them.   It definitely made the tremendous impact for them, I could tell.   

            All of them are my grandnephew and grandnieces that we met in Hsinchu and Taipei, Taiwan, at family reunions in July 2010.  You can’t imagine the confidence and progress they have developed since we started this project.  I told their parents to save the money by dropping the child’s cramming school, the private English teacher they hired from some Americans ‘teaching English abroad’ program, or foreign graduate students in National colleges.  “Just learn from me, the grandaunt!”   “We could do it with easy on-line and skype lessons via I-Talk BB plan my husband installed.” I said.  In three years since, all these collaborative learning mechanisms via different communication channels amazingly made all of them the top students in English at their class.  The hard work paid off!  The High School and College Entrance Exam in 2012, three of them had the perfect 100 score in English.   They not only love their old grandaunt from Maryland and I also enjoy my best of inspiring and challenging ways to keep them motivated.  At the same time, I keep up with their busy lives and maintain control over my mind, occupied and fulfilled.   
           
            Anyhow, my niece and nephew, parents of all these 5 students asked for a week off due to the upcoming Chinese Lunar New Year Holiday.  I will blog about the cram schools and public schools, from elementary to college, the English teaching in Taiwan some other time.  Here, I do not want to let it sidetrack from my blog today.

Field Trip #2 – Highway 101 – Conejo Connection

            Saturday, 1/25/2014 8:20 a.m. – again, off I went to the Pacific View Mall Bus Transfer Center – I was one of the five passengers – all white, except me, today.  Three of them were sun-bleached; dry and rough skin southern Californians, well into 50 – 60 years old range, casual short-sleeve shirts and Docker khaki shorts.  One guy had the biker’s shorts just like my son’s, and one woman, lunch box packed in her big designer’s Tote bag, around 30+ years.  I was thinking how could the City of Ventura afford this kind of bus service with only 5 passengers for 56-charter liner?  Oh, well, the taxes of my daughter and son-in-laws will pay for it.

Wacky Bus Home




            See the Wacky looking sculpture – inscribed with ‘Leap with Fun to Waiting for Bus.’  If you think waiting for a bus can be downright dismal, this piece of art surely has a meaningful message for me: Janice, relax, have fun! Your bus riding, exploring southern California isn’t so bad at all with your Medicare Card, $.60 bus fare, in the comfy charter liner!
            I think you can only expect the liberal, laid-back, and tech-savvy California State to build a funny looking structure as a public transit station.  I don’t see it in Maryland. – I, myself had started to ride Montgomery County’s ‘Ride On’ since May, 2007, when my son needed a reliable car for summer intern in NASA at Greenbelt, Goddard.  Of course, it was quite an adjustment for my daily commute and lifestyles change.  But, I have a reason besides the cliché of all other incentives, and green environment stuff; I would really like to experience the life of other Americans who ride the bus like me.  The race, class, and cultural behavior of this group interested me.  I was spoiled with the nice car and daily commute, only about 5.6 miles, to my job at Montgomery County Government.

The Homeless and the Beggar

            On the way, I trotted fast through the parking lot of Trader Joe.  One homeless, an old white man greeted me ‘good morning,’ squatted in the bushes between Staple and BevMo – a liquor, beer & fancy water beverage store.   I do not believe he was the one who picked up the Frito Lay chip from the trashcan I ran into last Sunday.  I guessed that the temperate weather and the beautiful coastlines here really attracted the homeless like him in Southern California.  It’s a heaven to them.  But, are they the useless, filthy and worthless bums or the socially excluded group with some untold stories behind? Who knows? Am I supposed to be walking past and treating them as though they don’t exist?  If I do, I would say, I am probably one of the majority Americans, who can only sympathize them but not benevolently offering them the material services. 

            The memory of one beggar crippled with one crooked leg, holding the walking bamboo stick, his 2 young toddlers in tow, muttering something with mantra-like repetition, rattling bell in the hand of one of the older kids, stood outside at the courtyard of my old house in Hsinchu, Taiwan, vividly came into my mind.  My parents would always have one of us children quickly put the warm rice we were eating then in his broken bowl.  What a difference in culture between two different countries.  Of course, my subjective point of view in cross-cultural comparison probably is biased again here.

Oxnard – the Garden of America

            By 8:25 am, I was on board on the comfortable charter liner south bound Highway 101.  – This is a north–south busy U.S Highway that runs through the states of California, Oregon, and Washington, on the West Coast of United of State.  The scenery was not much different from the east-west bound Highway 126 I took last Sunday – wide open view with palm trees lined up along the highway, barren mountains in close range, jagged with tree-less ridges paraded against the blue sunny sky like dinosaurs’ backbones slopes, thumping away from the ridgeline in fast motion. - I have been reading the baby all kinds of baby books stocked in my daughter’s house, including the dinosaurs.  After passing several exits with shopping centers and strip-retailed stores, with designers and name brands like you see along Rockville Pike, the bus plunged into the endless view of green valley.

            This land, a vast plain and valley, dotted a few oilrigs for the productive oils here – lucky America with her bounty of natural resources, is filled with strawberry fields, covered in plastic greenhouse and cultivated farmlands.  I saw from the charter bus window, the big scale of industrial farming equipments – gigantic agricultural machineries – Crop sprayer, spraying the steam of water from the pipes just like one of the dancing water fountain show at Longwood Gardens, only without music.  Many huge, towering John Deer like, green harvester scattered in all corners of the field.
 
            I have been driving every week since I got here on 1/10/2014, to this newly opened Whole Food in Oxnard - twice as big as the one in Kentland that Lydia, Shawn, Casey and I stopped by to have bathroom break when we had our weekend walk around the GE building on RT28.  But, the low driver seat in my daughter’s Subaru 4-wheel precluded me from seeing all this open-view scenery.  The charter liner provided me with ultra-comfortable seats and nice skyline view, had picked up only 8 passengers this time, I counted, from different shopping plaza bus stops.   We arrived at the bus transfer point – Oxnard Transit Center.

Nostalgia

            I had always used RoadRunner – Airport Shuttle Service – from/to LAX to her home to avoid the headache of infamous LA traffic problem.  I once had the conversation with the nice young driver, born in Oxnard, mixed Latino and white, and a part-time student at Oxnard College.  This green land reminded me of the far-reaching terraced rice fields in Taiwan.  It’s visible from virtually everywhere when I was riding the high-speed rail, which I fell in love there – nostalgic for my homeland again.  As I think about the wonder of Taiwan where I was born and now in Oxnard on Hghway101, a transplanted citizen, or naturalized American citizen, whatever you called, living in America and in California, it’s hard not to restrain my fragile sense of belonging.  In fact, this scene has inspired me to love life and things around me, no matter where I live.

            He told me this part of the valley is home to some of the most fertile soil in the world, and as such, agriculture is one of the region’s most vital and important industries.  The Oxnard is the ‘Strawberry Capital of the World” and Santa Paula, the place where I visited on the charter bus last Sunday is the ‘The Citrus Capital of the World.”  The Oxnard plain/valley is also a major producer of celery, lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, and onions.  Believe it or not, the Bok Choi, that’s a ‘must have’ vegetable in pretty much all my Chinese/Taiwanese friends are produced here.  You would think it must be nice and cheap to get all these fresh produces.  Nope, my daughter said, ‘Mom, I wouldn’t want you to buy those strawberries or salmon in COSTCO, they are not ORGANIC!”  Good grief!

Joyce – My College Classmate
  
         I called up my college classmate, Joyce, who lives at Newbury Park that I was coming over to visit her before she leaves for Taiwan, in spring, to temporarily settle there.  Joyce, a classmate of mine, came in the first in our class from Tainan Senior High School, is another successful story of National Cheng Kung University Foreign Language and Literature Department.  She left the hard life in Taiwan behind, studied in US and became a wife, mother and career woman.  Unfortunately, her beloved husband, Robert, Culvert, 82, who passed away on June 19, 2012 in the gym while he was pumping the iron.  Joyce would like to visit his gravesite while I visited her today.  Both of us could take the advantage of balmy weather, 75 degree, to climb the Stony Point Park afterword.  I told her, ‘I am not driving today, and I plan to explore Highway 101 with VISTA charter bus again.’

Conejo Grade
  
            By 9:40 am – The road climbed slowly toward Conejos Grade – I have asked my daughter about this word all the time.  She said it’s ‘the Spanish word for ‘rabbit’.” “The Spanish were the first Europeans to arrive this area back many years ago.  The rabbits and various animals made their homes here.”
         She commutes everyday from Ventura to Thousand Oaks – Amgen - where she works.  There is large stretch of road, the grade is physically a steep incline, which I was so nervous and tried to stay alert to watch my speed when I made the first trip to see Joyce in Newbury Park back in October 2013.

            By 10:05 am - I was the only one got off from this stop.  The rest of them disappeared at different shopping plaza when I was looking at my photo shots.  I only paid attention to the old guy with the biker’s shorts carefully unloaded his expensive bike from the front of the bus at Camarillo.  There must be some good bike path in that region.

            Joyce picked me up at ‘The Oaks Mall’ closest to her Wendy Drive bus stop, which was not a stop for weekend route.  Luckily, it’s only about 5 minutes’ drive for her.  I was very happy to see her regain some strength physically recently.  I know we all experience grieving a loss in our lives.  It will take time to get over and find your whole self again.  She told me, ‘she is trying.’

            We had simple lunch while she was preparing to have her beautiful house clean out and spruce up to be rental ready.  The plumber came to inspect her ceiling where she claimed was leaky at one point.  But, the plumber ran the water from upstairs and inspected all the pipes in the house still couldn’t find where the problem was.  Anyhow, I shared with them our problem of ice dame and leaky ceiling that was wide spreading the whole community in Maryland during the 2010 Nor’easter storm.  Her case was not this though; the plumber didn’t charge her any and promised to come back again if it happens again. 

Topanga Canyon
Mountain with aged Rocks
Cactus-strewn Mountain


            Joyce drove me by State route 118 to Robert’s gravesite, located at near Topanga Canyon.  It’s a land of California’s State Park where Ronald Reagan’s Library and Museum is nearby in Simi Valley.  I saw many American flags flying in the wind with the mountain behind it.   My family paid a visit in 2009 when we visited my daughter’s family after her marriage.  The scenery changed from cactus-strewn mountains at Highway 101 to mountains with aged rocks and boulders everywhere on both sides of the Highway. 

         Joyce found her husband’s gravestone near a shady tree and behind a newly planted lily flowers from someone else’s loss.  It inscribed ‘Robert (Bob) Culvert, a husband, brother, father and Papa - 6/19/1930 – 2/23/2012, I live a good life, I love my wife, Joyce, forever. She sat silently weeding the grass along the edges.  I bowed my head standing and prayed for Robert peace in heaven.

The End Journey

            It’s a journey we must go through.

            We did not hike the famous Stony Point Park.  My back probably couldn’t handle the challenge.  I’d better save some energy to carry my grandson instead.  He is getting big, close to five month next week.    

22 pictures to share - Sorry for no time to add the captions


https://picasaweb.google.com/115266046856451651125/Highway101_Jan252014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKmgu_bH8ofvPQ&feat=directlink



No comments:

Post a Comment