Monday, June 15, 2015

Our College Reunion – Day 7, 4/12/15 - Our Vila at Grand Ocean, Hilton Head Island, S. Carolina


Our College Reunion – Day 7(4/12/15)
Our Vila at Grand Ocean, Hilton Head Island, S. Carolina
Total Tranquility & Spectacular Views
We are right here facing the Atlantic Ocean - Our Vila – Marriott Grand Ocean.
The island is named after English sea Captain, William Hilton, sailing from Barbados on behalf of British crown to have the prospect of sugar cane plantation.  In 1663, he discovered a headland, which is today’s Port Royal Sound. He then named it as “Hilton’s Head”, which has been used ever since.  I thought this tiny island, 12 miles long and 5 miles wide, looks like a foot shape to me. 
In 1994, we fell in love with the place when the children were so into the tennis games and sports.  Golf may not be our main passion, but see the whole island is really the paradise for golfers and tennis nuts.  And we certainly are one of the nuts!
After a good sleep and light meal prepared by the acclaimed culinary team from Texas, JiaYi and Taipei, we, three early risers were up to exploring the island.
I marveled over how lucky we were to be together after that pinky-finger pledge at Cape May, New Jersey on October 2012.
Poolside at the Villa Grand Ocean behind
We spent a lot of time grazing wistfully at the tranquil surroundings wishing we could be students again!

As I turned my head toward the horizon, miles of beach behind us, and the dawn was beginning to break.  The sunrays were still hiding behind the mixture of light blue colors.  It’s still chilly with sea breeze.  I was totally blessed!!! No words to describe – “I’m out of a dream.”


Three retirees relaxing on the poolside swing set.  It’s the personal stuff we shared back in the college days fosters this kind of long-lasting relationship.  We found the solace sitting together in the quiet early morning.  The fragrance of Camilla flowers wafted light scent in the air.  We were completely immersed in this precious moment!
My husband, Ben, the one and only elite chauffeur, - 10 hours, 700 miles, and the executive chef, Shinyee, were ready to kick off the island adventure. 
The island this size boasts 60 miles of biking path!  My memory of family trip in 1994 riding the bikes with the children prompted me to suggest the paddling around the island.  Problem though, Hsia-Hwei’s left bandaged toe, an accident before leaving Taiwan, we solved it with three-wheelers for her against her other options.  I hope she was comfortable. 
We wound through the breathtaking scenic areas, parks, lagoons, wooden bridges and the resort communities, which bordered by flowering shrubs and southern plants competing its vibrant colors one another.  At one point, I was completely lost, dazed to be honest, stopping by at one of the ponds surrounding the pristine golf courses, to take the beautiful pictures of birds, fish, and turtles amid the lush live oak trees draped with Spanish moss in the most balanced ecosystem.
Remember the scenes from the movie “Gone with the Wind?  The magnificent and picturesque scene is the backdrop at the opening scene.  Scarlett O’Hara is seen flirting with the Tarleton twins (bachelors) under the live oak trees at Ashley’s Twelve-Oak Plantation barbecue party. 
The rest of the stories lingered in my mind, fresh in every turn when I focused the views with my camera lenses.  In the meantime, Rhett Butler’s “Frankly, My dear, I don’t give it a damn” was still ringing in my ears.
I firmly believe that, “it’s more often than we care to admit, the inconsequential decisions change our lives forever.” It’s a quote from Donald McCaig’s Rhett Butler’s People.”
So, I was lost, nowhere to be found.  Luckily, the island is small and my 20+ years memory of riding with my children here plus the low-tech cell phone helped me re-united with the crew.
We had lunch feast at “The Crazy Crab.”
Four “Golden Girls” were beginning to look like the Southern Bells in the movie “Gone with the Wind.  Not to mention, it’s only our first day in the South.
Ice-Cream treat – I shared with them the childhood memory of my husband’s dream –He would like to be the Popsicle salesman paddling on the bike.
The whole crew relaxing in the Vila Delicatessen – the delectable masterpiece prepared by the master chef, Shinyee and three assistants - Special Authentic Beef Shank Noodle Soup and cold cut – the three delicacies requisites, smell, taste and appearance were all in.



No comments:

Post a Comment