Thursday, June 11, 2015

Our College Reunion - Day 3, 4/8/15 - Reconnect with our Old Chums


Our College Reunion – Day 3 (4/8/15)

Reconnect with our old Chums – Lydia and Shirley!


We are off to reconnect with our old school chums. Lydia, 1976 NCKU Transportation Management Dept and Shirley, 1971 NCKU Accounting Dept – both live in Virginia across the Potomac River.  Remember I arranged our NCKU-DC Great Fall/Billy Goat trail hiking on 10/6/2012 when you folks were here?  This is the wildest river flowing through the populated areas, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland and DC – the United States capital.  That’s why it’s nicknamed as “The Nation’s River.”
The Historic White’s Ferry is located at Poolesville, MD on RT107, which is not too far from my house.  I have always enjoyed the ferry ride since both of my children were young.  My son, Eric, would always repeat the American Civil War stories with his father, Ben, when general Robert E. Lee attempted to invade the North.  Thousands of the soldiers froze to death, drowned or starved from different campaigns. 






The ferry is the longest running ferry on the upper part of the Potomac River.  It’s great to see the dramatic scenery changes over the four distinct seasons in Maryland.  I planned this one in the itinerary is to show you folks how I remember my son’s fond of the American Civil War history.  I could sense and imagine the sounds of guns going off and the men’s battling the victory for either side.  The Unions or the Confederates?  And now I am thinking about myself, U.S. or Taiwan?  I can’t see the fine line where I belong.   I think I probably read too much Gone with the Wind related novels.
Shinyee took these shots when I was steering the wheels.  LJ went out on the ferry plank to savor the unusually nippy air in spring.  It’s pretty quiet and relaxing watching the river making waves.  It’s just like watching a painting in motion.  Sorry, folks, the spring action has not started yet in our Upper Montgomery County where I live.  The buds, leaves and trees are still hibernating in a way due to long period of winter we have this year.

My best time of the ride is always the fall.  I planned it in 2012 for you all.  But, we had so much on our plate then.  Otherwise, you folks will be amazed seeing the dances of golden sunlight twirling through the trees, red, yellow and brown in flames.  It’s just fabulous.  Remember the ride home from Mount Vernon – George Washington’s Estate on 10/09/12.  LJ was totally speechless watching the fall leaves flying by along the Potomac River.  This River is practically with us everywhere we go in this region.

Our Hearts Warm at Cheese Cake Factory Luncheon

Now, let’s go to Dulles Town Center where we were having “Mall Walking” with old school pals, Lydia and Shirley.  It’s way too cold to walk outside, as we would originally have planned so.


Shinyee and LJ found the bargains - $8.00 sporty pants and Starbuck’s collectable mug. 
House Warming at Lydia's New Retiring Home - Ashburn, VA
Six of us were ambitiously discussing the plan to meet at our next NCKU World Carnival Reunion at Dallas, Texas on 10/16/15 – 10/18/15.  A possibility? We will see.     

A Time to Remember – Gourmet Meal!

We came home by Cabin John Memorial Parkway, still crossing the Potomac River on the other side of Whites Ferry.  I got lost trying to the find way home via Whites Ferry.  Why?  - Seniors and Maryland driver - I forgot this is Virgia territory.  We saw the typical traffic congestions for day commuters.  We quickly realized that we were the fortunate seniors. Those of the days balancing the work and family were left behind us.

The cooking team: Master Chef (Shinyee), Assistants (LJ and Hsia Hwei), Dish Washer (Janice) and Red Wind Connoisseur - Ben

The Gourmet dishes – Home-made Baozi from Houston, Texas, all healthy staples from Taipei and JiaYi


We are savoring the moment!


Picasa Link to share

https://picasaweb.google.com/112480790564624696310/June112015?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPe4xqrBndL0pAE&feat=directlink

No comments:

Post a Comment