Monday, May 25, 2015

Proud Moment of My Student, Mary Wang, at “Annual Celebration of Student Voices” Reading


Proud Moment of My Student, Mary Wang, at
Annual Celebration of Student Voices” Reading

Background

Mary, 62-year-old Chinese immigrant from China, finished her elementary school in 1960.  She vowed to learn good English after working at Magruder Grocery Store in Rockville, Maryland for 25 years. 

She was tested as a Laubach Level II student in July, 2014 when Literacy Council placed her under my tutelage.  She moved steadily up to Level III after a successful “Skill Level Test” within 7 months.


The following is her speech at Award Ceremony, Literacy Council of Montgomery County on 5/21/2015:

I can’t believe I can still learn at my age at 62.
If Janice were not my teacher, I’d probably quit already.
I am saying this “from the bottom of my heart.”
If I want to be good in English, I have to study hard.
My goal is to help others.  Either volunteering or being able to get a job with my good English.
I wish my dream would come true – to help older students at CASSA, Chinese American Senior Services Association.
I know their levels are lower than mine. They need help.
I appreciate that the Literacy Council has this program for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment