Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Eulogy for Pat - My Grandson's Grandmother


Eulogy for My Grandson, Forest’s Grandmother who passed away on May 19, 2014

Hi, for people who don’t know me, my name is Janice Chang, Celeste’s mom and Hans’ mother-in-law.  Looking at all the pictures displayed outside, it immediately brought back the best memory I had for Pat.  It seems like just yesterday - the graduation day for both Celeste and Hans at UC Berkeley MBA program.  That’s May 16, 2008 2:00 p.m. at Greek Theater.  I remember vividly.  It was brutally hot 105 degree.  Liz, Pat’s sister, Pat and I all had the hats on plus the umbrella that Pete, who was so nice to give us that for double protection, sitting on the sizzling cement seats.  We had to sit on the graduation programs without getting our tootsies burned.   …. Pat was so calm and easy-going, patiently telling me her American stories of mid-western life styles - how her childhood was and the lovely family members of her life, brothers and sisters, Pete, and the children Hans and Rachel.  That’s just our first formal meeting.  We were not even co-mother-in-law yet. I tell you, I already liked her a lot then; she’s just like my best high school and college friend who was filling me in all the past good and bad old times.  Yes, It’s her even-tempered, poised personality that made the stories feel like a cool breeze in that hot memorable day. 
We officially became co-mother-in-law on August 8, 2009 when Hans and Celeste got married.  She would always call or e-mail me about her well-being.  In November 2011, I would like to invite her to travel with me to Taiwan, when I had the world college reunion then.  That was one year after both Celeste and Hans and the families from Chang’s and Wu’s had a post-wedding celebration in Taiwan.  It did not work out as we expected, because I was concerned that the long travel, the semi-tropical weather and other issues might be an inconvenience for her.  I know she would have liked it very much to hold my hand and hear my Chinese American story I had promised her before.
One thing I know I will always miss is her writing.  The letter from Nana I read several times since, I hope I will read it to Forest one day, and the yearly Cole family report.  It’s always timely around the Christmas.  It’s full of loving words for Pete, Ike and Addie – the grandchildren… and of course, the wry and ironic political humors were peppered everywhere.  I have not shared with her my family’s split Republican and Democratic political feud yet.
Our grandson baby Forest was born last year September 4.  She and I had talked about visiting California with different schedules to help out both Hans and Celeste.  Unfortunately, she was not able to make it.  Instead, I was the lucky one to spend about 6 months with them.  It’s such a joy to watch Forest’s growth everyday and read the books she mailed to him frequently.  When the package arrived at the door, most of the times it’s Nana’s books for Forest.  I know she would like to use the books as the catalyst for her grandmotherly love.  Pat, I know Forest loves the books you sent to him, because Celeste, Hans and I read to him everyday.  For bedtime routine, he would always focus on your books, sitting on my lap, totally responsive and fixed his eyes on the page.  Sometimes, he would turn the page for me.  When I said, “the end” at the last page, he would flip the book to the beginning with his tiny hands, then I would repeat again for the second, the third, and the fourth time for him, until he had no more energy left to do so.  
This eulogy is also a “thank-you” note to you, Pat, from my husband, Ben, who is sitting in the back, and my son, Eric who can’t make it today.  You have left the legacy of your love of books and writing for all of us.







No comments:

Post a Comment