Saturday, November 28, 2015

2015 Thanksgiving Notes from the House of Changs - Janice Chang


2015 Thanksgiving Notes from the House of Changs

As the annual tradition of American Thanksgiving holiday, we, the Changs are a relatively Westernized Asian American household.  With my son, Eric, a Thanksgiving boy’s birthday celebration, the customs of East and West manifest in a bizarre assortment of dishes and treats at the table.

Appetizers:

Chestnuts – From Daughter
Salsa and Tortilla chips
French Brie cheese and Crackers
Olive and Nuts

Main Dishes

Marconi and Cheese – for Grandkid
Turkey – from Tom and Mimi Wu
Green Beans – from Son-in-Law
Mashed Potato – From Son-in-Law
House of Changs Noodle – From Master Chef
Old-bay seasoned Shrimp – From Master Chef
Zucchini Bread & Tiramisu – Birthday cakes substitute the Pumpkin Pie from Bakery
   
Be Thankful

1.  I am thankful for the good that has come - Ben and my retirements, Son-in-law and daughter's homecoming, Grandson, endless energy and curiosity.  

2. I am thankful for the fresh turkey - 14.5 lbs - Maple Lawn Farm – a gift from Tom and Mimi Wu’s family (my tennis partner) – turned out to be the best feast I have ever had.  It’s delicious, tender, juicy and so flavorful!  See, we pretty much consumed half of the turkey!  Of course, my son-in-law’s supervision during baking was a factor.  So he reversed the role as “The Man of the House” to carve the turkey for the Changs.  Again, Mom's "First Drum Stick ever in America from Professor Don & Evelyn Mckeon at VPI in 1974" story was shared - This time, Sue, was amazed because it's new to her.
  
3. I am thankful to share Yaung Hwa’s (盧永華) and friends’ recipes for the holiday dishes.  Eric’s Birthday dinner dishes – Taiwanese Sloppy Joe (豬肉乾) from Yaung Hwa’s recipe and the centerpiece, Rolly and Polly’s Shoulder meat (滷蹄膀) were the best – Eric and Sue were tempting to eat before the party began.

4. Uncle E. said lovingly “Not only did you take over my bedroom; you also inherited my old Lamborghini/Ferrari/Fighter Planes and my lunch table.  What’s next?  Do you want me to chase you? ”   A big mistake!  Forest loves running!  But it’s a bit cold outside.


5.  A-Gong’s (阿公) role as the trainer of future engineer with a screwdriver, of course, he is more than qualified but as the nail technician in Kids’ Spa and Saloon, the parents would fire him pretty soon.




6. A-Ma’s (嬤) role as the librarian - Forest’s favorite activity with me.  But, feeding the grandchild was a no-no because that’s spoiling according to the parents’ strict rule.  They encourage self-feeding instead.


As I express the Changs’ gratitude, I must not forget to share my blessings with you all.

Keep in touch!



No comments:

Post a Comment