Friday, March 7, 2014

Camarillo Library Visit - Accidental Discovery



Sunday, 3/2/2014

            I finished the last of five pre-requisite “Volunteer Tutor Training in CA” last Saturday, 2/22/2014.  All of 15 tutors were officially certified to tutor in any county in California.  We will be called when the tutors and learners, 18 or older are screened, tested and matched.  One of the assignments we were given is an alternative “The Laubach Way” to reach out the needed adults in Ventura County only.  Originally, I opted out the program due to the distance, which I need to drive to Camarillo Library, about 15 miles south of Ventura.  Then, Carol Chapman, the program Director, recommended me to pay a visit if I can.   It turned out to be a worthwhile visit for me.
           
            It’s been raining this week since Tuesday night, and all day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  It came as a welcome break in California relentless dry weather.   Folks in east coast blamed the rain in California bringing the “Winter Storm Titan” ice and snow in Maryland.  I thought the winter in east coast should start out with the quaint holidays – turkey, chocolates, Christmas candies etc.  But, it ended as a yearly reminder that the Greek god didn’t care if it’s March, and spring is only weeks away.  No matter what, it surely dampens my adventurous spirit.  My mind is getting moldy.   I can’t go sightseeing this week.  There is nothing better than going to the library on a rainy day. 

            I left for Camarillo Library around 10:30 a.m.  It’s a beautiful library with California Mission tiles roof.  There is a picturesque fountain courtyard in a setting surround the mountains now all fogged up because of the rain. - Quite unique!   I was supposed to research Laubach Literacy, one of my Tutor Training assignments from my last Saturday’s class.   

            Browsing down the aisles without asking the Librarian, I followed the library’s numerical systems in alphabetical orders.  It caught my eye unexpectedly, at K and L section in Adult Reading – Chinese/Korean Literatures. There was a book with Chinese 我看美國精神 - 孫康宜 and English title ”My Thoughts on the American Spirit – Kang-I Sun Chang.   The wavy red-white-and-blue American stars and stripped flag showed on the book spine.  It was tucked tightly among many other English books of hers. 
           
            I took the book off the shelf, standing up and quickly skimmed the table content first.  There are various topics relating to Oriental and Western cultures analyzed with her own experience that I could personally relate to.  My back was hurting from caring for my grandson, and my bag packed with lunch and snack was getting too heavy for me.  Instead, I sat on the floor, my bag relieved from my shoulder, and there was aisle after aisle of organized shelves around me in a completely quiet library.  There weren’t anyone within my sight on this floor. I was totally immersed in reading this book, about 200 pages, from the beginning to the end in 1-½ hours.  I was amazed about my speed-reading in Chinese.

            The book had me thinking.  To call her the greatest professor and scholar in Eastern Asian language and Literature of our time is not an exaggeration, but as the book brief from her bio and her numerous publications show me, simply a statement of fact. 
            Thanks to her detailed and thorough account, I can better understand not just her talent in writing the historical and humanistic context, but also the comparative sentiment relating to traditional and modern Chinese spirit.  American spirit is subtly displayed through the variety of changing phenomena - from the cowboy culture in colonial era and the movie Brokeback Mountain in gay movement to the patriotism triggered from the awakening terror attack 911 event.   These are all too familiar to me as an immigrant living in US during the time.

            I have not acquired a broad knowledge of language, literature, philosophy, and history – pity that I did not study hard enough during my school years.   But her encompassing view in Chinese Literature, poetry and American culture makes me wanting to learn more about her.   Professor Kang-I Sun Chang has been teaching at Yale since 1982.  She was trained in a number of areas from Taiwan just like we were.  Rising from native Taiwan to a world-known Yale professor is quite a remarkable journey.  She was elected the most distinguished alumna from Kaohsiung Oil Refinery Primary School and one of the notable alumni from Tunghai University where she was majored in English Literature and minored in Chinese Literature.   

            Her ability to introduce the wealth of Chinese Literature to the world and her devoted interest in comparative studies of poetry, literature criticism and cultural theory with extensive spectrum is beyond my capacity.  I take pride in knowing one of our greatest scholars from Taiwan.
           
            Among numerous volumes of her publications on the book shelf, I jotted down “Journey Through the White Terror: A Daughter’s Memoir.  I placed the order through amazon.com later of the day.  It reminded me of my personal story from my father in Hsinchu and college close friend, Bo-Chen in Tainan.  Our Class Album NCKU ‘71 FLLD 《外文內美 - 第一集》originally initiated from the unexpected incident trying to re-connect the lost classmate.  I do not know when I will be able to read it.  There are still a couple of books I am currently reading.  But, it definitely is in my reading list for sure.

            I was feeling hungry after reading.  Quickly, I went to the front desk to have the librarian show me the section where “The Laubach Way “ – trained volunteers provide free, one-on-one ESL (English-as-secondary language) tutoring to any Ventura County resident who is 18 and older was located.  I am in no hurry or pressure to start one of my “after retirement” tasks.  The VolunteerMatch organization will call me if any weekend learners are screened. 
           
            Certainly, it feels so good to be retired.  I can read good books now.

P.S. I have been sharing my “after retirement life in CA” with many coworkers and friends.  My ideal life is:

1.     Friends are Friends Forever – I am lucky!
2.     Good books to share, beautiful music to sing – smiles and tears, giggles and laughs, advices and supports – I am lucky!

            Miss you all and enjoy any good books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment