Thursday, February 13, 2014

Volunteer as a Tutor in California's Adult Literacy Program


Volunteer as a Tutor in California’s Adult Literacy Program

            Friday, 1/31/2014 – It’s my first of five  ‘Tutor Training” from VolunteerMatch Program.  It starts 5:00 pm – 8:30 pm.  It sounds so serious.  Yes, I was ready to putting myself out there and staying engaged with the community.  That’s one of my retirement resolutions.   I will never want to become a few of my co-workers who retired at 65 and played for about five years and they’re done!  In a way, America has given me so much opportunity for the past 40 years, which I am grateful forever.  I feel like I really owe it my own undivided loyalty for all these years. 

            But, I was very nervous! To tell you the truth, #1. I do not know the area enough. #2. It’s nighttime training.  I haven’t done any driving at night in California yet.  I just got here, Ventura CA, barely a month ago from Maryland of almost 35 years!   Well, this is how my volunteer journey begins:

            It all started here at Ventura in January, when I was surfing on-line for teaching English as a volunteer in California on the weekend basis.  The VolunteerMatch Program was popping all over on my Google search.  There was no contact numbers where I could talk to any human being at all, until all my credential and past experience were provided and screened, through on-line step-by-step, sometimes, cumbersome and endless pathway in a maze.  At least, that’s not so bad!  Then, the interactive e-mailing got rolling pretty quickly with the program manager of Ventura County Library, Carol Chapman and office manager, Paula Retrossi.  So eventually, the phone numbers embedded in the labyrinth of network agencies to contact.  What a good security software they must have installed to avoid the phone numbers revealed in this digital world!  They called me instead to welcome me for being accepted as a tutor in California’s Adult Literacy Program.  They told me to look out for the mailed program package.  Finally, four pages of document and brochure, that I need to fill out, came in the mail in time for me to start this once every 6 months training to be a tutor in California.   

            Aside from my resume I already compiled hastily and accepted during the on-line application, the packet also asked for 3 referrals!  Surprised!  It looks like I am applying for my first job!  Luckily, my County supervisors and co-worker all happily responded to my request with the short notice.  I am honored to have such a quick turnaround from them.

            From the program package I received, I found out the program was actually endorsed by 1. Council for the Advancement of Adult Literacy 2. American Library Association 3. National Organization for the Promotion of Literacy 4. Verizon Literacy University.   This is a pre-requisite training program as a qualified California Tutor in Adult Literacy program.   I do not know they are this organized and serious-minded.

            The program is a state funded program, definitely well run all right.  Jerry Brown, the Governor, initiated the program, originally at Oakland Public Library, at the end of his second term as California’s Governor in 1983, and it was cut a few years ago due to budget crisis and economic downturn.  Now, he again not only restores, but also provides substantially more beginning in 2015-16, $500 million instead of $300 million in his original budget proposal for 2013-2014.  It’s a substantial amount, however controversial it is.  We, Marylanders, probably will have plenty of eye-rolling and head-shaking over his announcement.  How is that possible?

            Is the funding putting the money where the California’s needs are?  It is clear that he intends to boost the economic well being of Californians who voted for him not only once, but twice and three times. 

            Jerry Brown, the longest serving governor in California, first caught my eyes in 1975 when I was a graduate student, just beginning to watch Walter Cronkite’s CBS news on the grainy black-and-white TV, which Ben and I bought cheap from student’s yard sale at Blacksburg, Virginia.  I remembered him for empathizing and advocating farm workers, women and minorities.  Then, later something about him being a priest and a gray and bald third term governor.  Anyhow, being the politician for all his life, he knows that a well-educated workforce is key to state prosperity.  Investing in education is also good for state budgets in the long run, since workers with higher educations/incomes contribute more through taxes over the course of their lifetimes. 

            The truth is, as we all know, agriculture is the mainstay in California and this industry is so labor intensive.   All the farm workers are the key to California’s agricultural production, which are the supply chains for the US food system.  They may not need any education to pick the strawberries, cut the lettuce or crop the vegetables where I saw at Oxnard Valley on the VISTA trip.  They may not even have any legal status to work in US.  But, our population relies on their labor to put food on the table.  My notion is they have fed Americans for over a long period of time historically.  The hotly debated Immigrant Reform Bill should, one way or the other, grant the farm workers the legal status one day. – It’s my personal point of view with a little sentimental touch at this stage of my life.

            Let’s get back to the volunteering.  I made the ‘dry run’ around 6:15 pm when both my daughter and son-in-law came home early and settled down their son, Forest.  They are very supportive of my volunteering initiative.  Bless their hearts!  Otherwise, they would probably feel guilty for not being able to entertain me on the weekend basis. 

            Good, I made it, not only the 1st class, but also, the 2nd time training on Saturday 10:00 am with the bright sunny day.  Following my researched Google Map from the letter, I took I-126 E – S. Victoria St. and parked just in front of the building 801 S. Victoria St. which is about 2.3 miles away from my daughter’s place.  It seemed to be far.   The route actually was my 1st VISTA bus ride to Fillmore.   I didn’t even realize it.  The challenge of night driving in an unfamiliar place is often unnerving.

            I met 15 people in the tutor-training program.  All reserved in advance.  The majority are experienced, seasoned retirees and one young graduate student. – Professor, librarian, teachers, and different career from their past.  I saw them as willing, passionate, fun, inspiring, and insightful with the rich background and knowledge through the introduction at orientation session.  The impression they gave me as relaxed, happy and worry-free folks like I am.

            Besides all the teaching materials, supplies, and books provided free by the library’s ‘adult Literacy’ program, I found out that food is also one of many envy-worthy perks.  Since it’s dinner time 5:00 pm when class started.  I was surprised to see plenty of sandwiches, fresh California fruits – big strawberries, blueberries, bananas, toasted nuts and different snacks on the table with microwave, water cooler, kitchen sink, refrigerator and other amenities, even though I packed my own simple cheese crackers for dinner.  The place where we are for this mandatory ‘Tutor Training’ is the Community Center Conference room at the Union Bank, across from Ventura County Government – Nice Building.  What are all these pampered perks?  Just trying to get me to contribute as a volunteer in California’s Adult Literacy program?  I am being curious now. 
           
            The program manager for Ventura County Libraries, Carol Chapman, petite size, a librarian looking in her 50s, told us in the class that Jerry Brown will officially dedicate September as the ‘Month of Literacy’ in California this year at the program’s 30th year anniversary.  As she said, ‘there will be a lot of promotional programs and fun activities involved with not only the tutors but also the learners.  There are plenty of powerful stories from the learners who would share their transformative journey in learning and in life with us.’   One of the books she shared with us – In a Fisherman’s Language by James Arruda Henry, a 98-year old lobster-boat captain from Mystic, Connecticut, who had a secret for nearly 90 years.  It’s so compelling that you would think a man has been incognito for most of his life is still able to overcome the odds and confront a life obstacle.  Finally, he can bravely tap his inner strength and find the resilience to conquer all the impossible.
            Wow, free, one-on-one tutoring for any California adult who needs help with reading and writing.  When I shared my first hand volunteer experience with my close high school classmate, who was the graduate of ’71 NCKU Accounting Department, Jenny of Freemont, California.  She plans to devour The Complete Works of William Shakespeare after she retires in one year or two.   I had the opportunity to ask Carol, the manager about Jenny’s Californian entitlement for this program.  Nope, she said,  “there is only one qualification: the learners, must be at least 18 years or older, with 8th grade and lower based on the pre-tutor assessment test, and have to speak English well enough to communicate with a tutor.”  It’s really that so?  Sorry, Jenny, you have to prove yourself that you are really a functional illiterate or you can join the Shakespeare’s Book Club to reach your after retirement goal.  But, go for it, Jenny, it’s never too late to do anything you decide for your life.  Does Maryland offer this kind of service for our Marylanders?  It would be interesting to find out.  

            I think all these politicians; including President Obama have something in their minds for the proposed federal immigration reform plan.  According to Carol, “the increasing need for ESL, citizenship, GED and other career tech programs are all covered in this broad 'Adult literacy' mission.  The only thing interesting surfaced, as the program has run so far, you will find a lot of learning disabled, such as dyslexia, dysgraphia and other attention disorders that impaired their reading and writing process,” “You will be surprised, that there are endless group of adults hiding out there, and are able to get by everyday life fine, but who need help to achieve, at least, the self-esteem.”     No wonder, I am more than welcomed, immediately after my application. 

            As the trainings progress, she introduced us several of teaching materials.  Barton Reading and Spelling System will be used.  We were challenged to read and spell a word, bryxfrlds – a white fragrant state flower in Poland.  Boy, that was hard.  The point is to picture us as those adult-illiterates when faced with struggle the simple word, read.

            I must commit myself with 2 hours of teaching per week and at least minimum of 50 hours per year.  All lesson plans and learner’s short and long-term goals paper are prepared by the tutors weekly and the program site manager will review them twice a year in January and in June, when the learner is assigned to us.  Then, in turn, the learners evaluation documents should turn over to Government agency soliciting grant proposals and request more budget if there is a need.

            She indicated that some of the counties might have more tutors than learners, and vice versa in other counties.  The point is I can only limit my time for weekend and in Ventura area, due to my family obligation.  I need to have the balance of keeping my priority and knowing my purpose.  They, the program manager and site coordinators completely understand that.  So they will try to find some leaners in this area if they can, once all these 5 pre-requisite classes are done at the end of February.  It suits me well between my roles of weekday Nanny at home and weekend explorer on the bus.

            Just like she said, the program’s mission is to help the endless people out there, mothers, fathers, neighbors and workers who have difficulty writing a check or reading a newspaper medicine labels or a bus schedule.  One at a time, we will improve their reading and writing skills so they can perceive positive impact on their lives in such areas as self esteem, employment, family life and community involvement.

            Well, we will see how it goes from here.  They encouraged me that, ‘do not get discouraged, they will call you when there is one out there to suit your schedule and location.’

             I will be waiting out here in Ventura, California.

CA Adult Literacy Training Session-Ventura






No comments:

Post a Comment